Friday, 24 October 2014

Thoughts on modern day race relations from an airport lounge!

Isn't amazing how as humans being singled out or sticking out is uncomfortable. Conformance seems part of our reflex actions. I remember one day sitting in a Bavarian restaurant in Munich and being the only black adult in the entire crowded famous restaurant. I started to notice all the people starring at me; bravely so; no shyness at all! At that moment I willed just one or two other black people; to come in as I wasn't comfortable being this exotic person that they were all looking at. I even suggested to my friend that we swop seats and she refused saying this was something she had gone through in Haiti; being the only white person in the street, and that it was now my turn :)

I sat there and discomfort turned to amusement at the curiosity about simple plain old me!

In the time we've been living in Dublin; I have become accustomed to that I would normally see other Africans in church at the weekend or in my home or their homes; but not usually at the school as I drop kids or at the local grocery stores or when I go for a jog. So this afternoon when o spotted fellow blacks in the airport lounge I had a sense of excitement- which was short lived :( they were the kind who seemed uncomfortable to greet us; who wondered how we had entered their space where until we arrived; they were the only blacks in the lounge...

I've learnt that this desire for similarity is based on the context!

When we got on the flight; a very bubbly and friendly flight attendant came to introduce herself (Chelsea); excited to see familiar surnames that reminded her of home. Living in Dubai, she said, made her appreciate a little bit of home when she came across it! During our stop over in Dubai; I saw the same couple I had spotted in Dublin; but this time I was not phased by their presence or excited- there were so many friendly black people who were smiling and greeting everyone as they carried on.

In this context; there was no need or desire for similarity as it was in abundance! And of course when we get back home; there's no deep excitement when seeing fellow blacks as they're in abundance; but in me there will always be that curious friendliness. A greeting, an acknowledgment at least :)


SMILE...it's for free 😊


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment